Make your own granola bars at home! This recipe can be easily adapted to your preferences. Mix and match nuts and fruit to create your favorite breakfast bar or lunch snack! You can store these in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal
- 1/3 cup currants, dried cranberries, or substitute
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped golden raisins
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, currants (or cranberries), apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
- Combine peanut butter or almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 16 bars.